Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Resurrection

Ha, seriously?!

I don't even know what to say, where to begin. I mean, it's been 16 months - why? what? how?! I never actually meant to stop writing, it just happened. One day turned into one week which turned into one month which evidently turned into one year and then some. And leaving it like I did, well it has just never sat well with me and so here I am. I think I just became bored of sitting in front of the computer so much, and so by the time I got back to writing all I wrote about were the trips I had recently gone on. And this is ok, but this blog wasn't meant to be a travelog exclusively. It is meant to be more than that. And so between not wanting to sit in front of the computer, not wanting to write a travelog, not wanting to feel like it was boring, I just stopped. Cold turkey stopped.

But now I'm back. At least I think I'm back, I'm intending to be back! I guess we'll see how it goes, but I have thought a lot about it. I considered starting it back up at the one year mark of when I stopped, but that didn't happen. Obviously. But I've continued to think about it a lot, and feel that it might just be the right time. I've had a lot on my mind, and so for selfish reasons I feel I need an outlet for all the thoughts, emotions, plans, and stress stirring around inside me.

You see, we're on our way out. Our wonderful, fabulous life in Indonesia is coming to a close, and since I began this journey with you all I feel I should end it with you all as well. Plus, with all that's entailed with a move of this magnitude, my brain is all jumbled up and maybe this will ease some of the craziness.

In a little over 3 months from now we will move back to the US, to Chapel Hill, NC, where we lived from 2001-2003 while I studied for my MPH. We thought we'd relocate to another overseas post or we'd move back to Washington, DC, so this comes as a bit of a surprise to us. We were disappointed that we are going back home to the US instead of to Africa where we hoped to go, and then disappointed we wouldn't go home home to DC. However, we always knew CH was a possibility since J's company is headquartered in the Triangle. Now that we've wrapped our heads around it we're excited, very excited, so excited that we're very antsy to leave Jakarta. And by the time I post this we will have told our friends in CH and I know this will make us even more excited.

We only have 3 months left. 3 MONTHS! Yikes. We have A LOT to do in that time - moving a family overseas is not an easy thing to put together, even when moving back to your home country. Matter of fact, in some ways it's even harder, and I'll write a post on that another time.

So for the next few months I'll be writing a lot about the move and what I'm feeling as we prepare to leave Indonesia and repatriate to the US. And once I'm back, a friend suggested that I keep it going because really, how interesting and funny will it be to go from my spoiled expat life here in a developing country to my full-time stay at home mom life in the "developed" US. Funny in a pathetic way that is. So that's the intention. Again, we'll see how I go...

So, again, sorry about the long and unexpected hiatus, but hopefully you're willing to start checking in with me again from time to time...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Welcome back! Looking forward to keeping up with you guys via blogging ;)