Monday, January 21, 2008

Da Boyz

My little guys, as cute as ever...
C's shirt reads Big Brother and LC's says Little Brother. Unfortunately you can't tell that in the photo...

C continues to exasperate me - one minute being the cutest darn 3 year old in the world and saying the sweetest, funniest, most wonderful things. And the next? Argh!!! The boy does not listen. At all. We have to repeat ourselves like 300 times before he stops doing whatever we're trying to stop him from doing. At which point we're at our wits end and he's headed for a time out. And then he puts on his awful, but really very funny, MAD face and sulks and pouts and tries to make us feel bad (saying things like, "I'm not going to play with you!", or "I'm going to put you in a time-out!", or "that's not fair!", or "I'm not going to talk to you!"). But really we're just laughing on the inside, especially me cuz I know he got that face from me. And 2 minutes later he's back to being fun and cute and smart and fabulous. Exasperating, definitively.

LC is exasperating us as well, in a different way of course. As you can see from his photos, he is incredibly smiley and happy and has the most infectious laugh for a 6 month old. (note to self, I need to get that taped!) He is generally such a wonderful baby and everyone in his life is crazy about him. He has been a pretty easy going baby but also alert and decisive - he'll let us know when he wants something for sure. And he sleeps so well, during the day. He's a great napper, has been for most of his life. But then there's the night time, and it's anyone's guess as to what will happen. One night he sleeps through without a peep, and the next he wakes up 4 times. It's infuriating and we are so sick of the randomness. So we have started to sleep train him, with little success. Why little success despite 1 week of this? The biggest reason is because of the randomness! I'm not going to go into the details, but suffice to say we have had enough of the bad nights and need, that's right NEED, more of the good nights.

My mother arrives on Saturday and it's hard to believe her visit is actually here after so many months of planning and waiting. We will all have a fantastic time and I can't wait for her to play with C and get to know LC. And she and I are headed to Bali for 5 blissful, child and husband free days and I'm totally excited for it. Unfortunately work-wise it is turning out to be the absolute worst time. I will have 3 colleagues from DC here at the very same time, doing work that I want to be involved in but for which I will have limited time. But then that has been the story so far. I seem to always miss the important work events: training in Bangkok the very week I was in Bali with family and J's parents, important team building day-long workshop when we went to NZ, and now 2 major activities and visitors while my mom is here.

Speaking of work...

1 comment:

grandma said...

I love the picture of the boys. C is a typical 3 year old, an adorable devil. LC is a sunny day, and a stormy night. They are terrific.