Sunday, February 11, 2007

More shopping excursions

It has been a busy week, full of shopping excursions with both successful and failed endings. One morning I went in search of dishes and glasses at a huge department store. Surely, you would think, they would have a large selection of both. And yet, if I wanted china I may have been successful but otherwise they had a dismal collection. However, I had a great time! 2 huge floors full of incredibly gorgeous fabrics and Indonesian crafts. I was drooling while my hands kept twitching towards my pocketbook. I had to keep reminding myself that I have plenty of time and plenty of exploring to do before I start indulging in my shopping vice. Half of one floor in the store is a Toys R Us, and I looked around and confirmed that C will not lack a good selection of toys when there is a need. I have also seen quite a few cute independent toy stores around. From here I headed to another mall with another department store, and was once again disappointed to find no selection whatsoever. This means that I will have more dish expeditions this week, or else we will have nothing to eat on come next weekend.

Another shopping excursion involved the search for appliances and televisions. We went to a Best Buy type store, although the layout was not nearly so friendly. Instead of having all the washing machines together, everything is organized by brand. So there were about 10 different areas to look for the things we needed. Never having bought a washing machine before, and certainly never in a foreign country, it was a long confusing journey. However, we were successful and we purchased a washing machine and tv. When we move in we will have clean clothes and be able to watch American Idol, but will be eating off the floor. At least we have our priorities straight.

We also looked at cars this weekend. We are going to have to go the SUV or van route, as we have to fit 2 carseats plus 3 adults at a minimum (we will have a driver to navigate the confusing streets and insane traffic), and sometimes more when we have visitors, etc. It is surprising and very nice that we can buy a brand new (although we're going to try to buy used) Toyota SUV for under $20k.

We went over to the house today and the repairs, painting, etc. are looking great. We will definitely be able to move in next weekend - hooray! C had a lot of fun playing in the yard and I feel good that he will be happier once we're there. I know I will be.

The baby is an ACTIVE little squirt. I've been feeling him kick for quite a while, but it's definitely picking up in frequency and power. It will be fun when C can feel it, although maybe that will sort of freak him out too...?

2 comments:

David and Mary Ann said...

Can't wait to see pictures of the house! I hope there's enough space for the boys to play soccer -- it sounds like you have a star on the way!

grandma said...

love your priorities. not exactly a jug of wine and a loaf of bread but much more practical.